Dedicated to keeping alive the Life Protection Art founded by Taika Oyata
Chu – Loyal
Shi – Scholar
Kan – Hall/Place
This is a Life Protection Art that relies upon technique and not strength.
Aspects of the art:
- Tuite: Joint manipulation / locks
- Kyusho: Pressure point strikes that occur during technique
- Kata: A specific pattern of movements that form the foundation for technique
- Bogu Kumite: Full contact sparring
- Kobujitsu – Ancient weapons
Taika preferred the term Life Protection Art to that of Martial Art. Life Protection signifies that we protect the life of family, friends, and anyone being threatened. The practice of Life Protection also protects those that are intent on harming others. Taika’s Art is a a way to help make the world a better place.
Instructor/Owner – Justin Teenor 4th Dan
Justin began training in Ryu Te in 1992 under Hanshi Greg Lindquist in Overland Park, KS. He received his Shodan (first degree blackbelt) under Sensei Mike Minor in 2000 while living in Kansas City, MO. Upon moving to Colorado Springs, CO in 2005, Justin continued to study and in 2008 he joined Kyoshi Glenn Wuenstel in Woodland Park, CO at the Rocky Mountain Ryu Te dojo where he eventually earned his current rank of Sandan.
Dojo / Class Information
Classes are very personalized with a large amount of individual attention and customized instruction.
- Stances, punches, blocks, and kicks
- Demonstration of a particular topic or technique
- Train the topic or technique
- Training in kata (forms) and bunkai (focus on specific techniques contained in kata)
- Pad work – chest pads for giving and receiving punches
- Bogugear training (full contact sparring)
- Weapons – chizikunbo, tanbo, tonfa, nunchaku, cane, jo, bo, sai, manji sai, kama, eku, and nunte
Areas of interest:
Students will be trained in a combination of empty-hand and weapons movements through a prescribed path of study. Customized training will be included depending upon the student’s specific areas of interest.
Dojo / School name: Chushikan
I am very humbled to have received a personalized school name from Hanshi Lindquist and Kyoshi Wuenstel that reflects my decades of dedication to the Life Protection Art of Taika Seiyu Oyata.
Justin Teenor, Sensei
Bogu Kumite is the Zensekai Karate Kobujitsu Renmei version of full contact sparring.
The head gear is similar to Kendo gear and will prevent serious injury from strikes to the head.
In class the gear is used for training more than Ippon Kumite or one point sparring. Putting the gear on helps students to understand the importance of blocking and to get the feeling of being hit.
Just because the gear is on does not mean that full contact is being used but it is a way to put training to a higher test when you know the training partner will hit you in the head if you don’t block.
As with everything in class the level of intensity will be adjusted to the students level.
School of Loyalty
I have always viewed karate as a life style journey and 90% of your success comes from just showing up.
Contact / Information
Justin Teenor – Owner / Sensei
Colorado Springs, CO 80922