Dento – Classical Ryukyu – Okinawa Karate – Vast Hand
This is a Life Protection Art that relies upon technique and not strength.
Aspects of the art:
- Tuite: Joint manipulation / locks
- Kyusho: Pressure point strikes that occur during technique
- Kata: A specific pattern of movements that form the foundation for technique
- Bogu Kumite: Full contact sparring
- Kobujitsu – Ancient weapons
Taika preferred the term Life Protection Art to that of Martial Art. Life Protection signifies that we protect the life of family, friends, and anyone being threatened. The practice of Life Protection also protects those that are intent on harming others. Taika’s Art is a a way to help make the world a better place.
Matt has been training in Ryu Te since 1984.
Dojo / Class Information
Classes are very personalized with a large amount of individual attention and customized instruction.
- Stances, punches, blocks, and kicks
- Demonstration of a particular topic or technique
- Train the topic or technique
- Train kata (forms)
- Pad work – chest pads for giving and receiving punches
- Bogu gear training (full contact gear)
- Weapons – chizikunbo, tanbo, tonfa, nunchaku, cane, jo, bo, sai, manji sai, kama, eku, and nunte
Areas of interest:
Customized training depending upon the students areas of interest.
Bogu Kumite is the Zensekai Karate Kobujitsu Renmei version of full contact sparring.
The head gear is similar to Kendo gear and will prevent serious injury from strikes to the head.
In class the gear is used for training more than Ippon Kumite or one point sparring. Putting the gear on helps students to understand the importance of blocking and to get the feeling of being hit.
Just because the gear is on does not mean that full contact is being used but it is a way to put training to a higher test when you know the training partner will hit you in the head if you don’t block.
As with everything in class the level of intensity will be adjusted to the students level.
Dento Ryukyu Karate
Classical Okinawa Karate
Don’t think this is just book research though! It is quite a place of practical not just theoretical research…as the Guiding Principles state "…Be cautious about becoming too theoretical or technical because these too are weaknesses."
Contact / Information
Dento Ryukyu Karate
Kyoshi Matt Cowen – Owner / Sensei
Shawnee, KS 66218