In 1989, Greg was very fortunate to receive an invitation by chance from Kyoshi Gary Shull to attend a Ryukyu Kempo seminar featuring Taika Seiyu Oyata in Columbia, SC. There Greg met Taika, Tasshi Jim Logue, and of course Kyoshi Shull and was able to get a glimpse of Taika’s Life Protection Art. After the seminar Greg was accepted as a student by Gary and since then has attempted to learn Taika’s art. Some years later Greg was accepted into Oyata Shin Shu Ho Ryu® (Taika’s family art) and then later was promoted to Nanadan in Shin Shu Ho®. Greg has also trained in Gracie Jiu Jitsu and attained purple belt at Jeb Brown’s Lexington Jiu Jitsu.
Kyoshi Dawson is a 7th Dan and Oyata Shin Shu Ho Ryu
Aspects of the Art:
- Tuite: Joint manipulation / locks
- Kyusho: Pressure point strikes that occur during technique
- Kata: A specific pattern of movements that form the foundation for technique
- Bogu Kumite: Full contact sparring
- Kobujitsu – Ancient weapons
Taika preferred the term Life Protection Art to that of Martial Art. Life Protection signifies that we protect the life of family, friends, and anyone being threatened. The practice of Life Protection also protects those that are intent on harming others. Taika’s Art is a way to help make the world a better place.
Instructor – Greg Dawson, Kyoshi, 7th Dan
- Stances, punches, blocks, and kicks
- Demonstration of a particular topic or technique
- Train the topic or technique
- Train kata (forms)
Contact / Information
Kyoshi Greg Dawson